Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Just a small rant, forgive me.

It saddens me that some people of authority choose to use their power to impose their beliefs on others in the form of laws and regulations, and that we as a society are not able to pull together enough to prevent it from happening. It saddens me that people who don't believe the same things are allowed to make rules based on their beliefs, and we have no choice but to conform. If I were gay I don't think I could live with the way things are. It's horrifying really, to think that just because you happen to love someone of the same sex, you are automatically disallowed the same rights and privileges of those who happen to love someone of the opposite sex? WTF!? What gives them the right to say a couple can't marry, set up house, be a beneficiary, have the same parental and spousal rights, etc. simply based on the gender of the two people in love? How can that possibly be justified? And isn't this all based on centuries old basic, that's what the bible says, religious beliefs? What about separation of church and state? Why are our laws based on beliefs that not all of us hold to be true? I don't know, maybe I don't know enough about the way it all works, but it seems pretty cut and dry, and it just feels wrong to me.

I strive to be very open and honest with my daughter when it comes to such views and beliefs. I want her to feel like she can talk to me about anything, and I think she does so far. At the tender age of 7 we've already discussed sex, drugs, smoking, childbirth, religion, etc. I want her to grow up knowing that she has the right to her own opinion. She already understands that two people can love each other regardless of their race or sex. She knows that people can and do worship all types of gods, or choose not to worship at all. She is aware of the freedom we are lucky to have in this country, while others are not so fortunate. She also knows that people don't all believe the same things and she respects their right to disagree. I've tried very hard to instill these values in her from a young age so that she may have a fighting chance to grow into an independent, compassionate young woman. It's so hard living here in the South, with racism and religious fanaticism running rampant. I want her to know that it doesn't have to be this way, that it's ok to be different from everyone else, in fact it's the difference that contributes to her specialness. I think being a mom is one of the most important jobs a woman can have. To actually raise and mold another human being into a good, caring, self reliant person, wow, what a huge responsibility. I worry that I'm not very good at this mom thing sometimes. I know my lack of patience is a problem, and when I screw up I tell her so, and apologize. I want her to know that I am not perfect and don't expect her to be either, and yes, even moms can be wrong sometimes. I just hope that I do right by her and don't screw her up too badly. Nothing that a good therapist won't be able to fix anyway! ;) But I am looking forward to this interesting and challenging road ahead, because I know the woman she will ultimately grow into is going to be simply AMAZING, and I can't wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home