Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Unbelievable news!!

OH, MY-FREAKING-GOD!! Bub got an honest to goodness, 8-5, Monday-Friday, real, paying, JOB!!! Not due to any actual effort put forth on his part, mind you, the damn thing literally fell into his lap, but that's beside the point. I really just can't believe it! See Jilly, fate! ;D Don'tcha believe, even a little?? So, here's the scoop. The owner of a local, well established, software/web development firm decided it was finally time to expand his operation to include several full time computer programmers, (one of which would be the lead or head programmer) to keep up with his company's expedient growth. Apparently, he kept an old resume of Bub's, received from my husband's last attempt at finding gainful employment, approximately 5 years ago. I guess he hung on to it because he liked what he saw, and had hoped to use it one day. Anyway, this guy Jim, sent Bub an email wondering if he were still interested and available, and asked Bub to contact him back if that were the case. Of course, my idiot husband almost missed the opportunity entirely because he only sporadically checks his email, but that's nothing new, and at least he did this time, right?! So, he emailed him back and they set up a time to meet (on Sunday, no less. This guy was really anxious to get the ball rolling!). Anyway, Jim was obviously impressed because Bub started work yesterday as the lead developer! I have to give Bub some credit here, although I have little respect for the man/father/husband that he is, the boy does know his shiznit when it comes to puters! He is exceptionally gifted in his chosen profession, and he absolutely loves what he does. Not a lot of people can say that and I know he feels fortunate that he can. He is also quite a savvy negotiator, letting Jim know in no uncertain terms, exactly how well he expects to be compensated for his impressive skill set, once he as proven himself worthy. Something, he explained, he has complete and utter confidence in. Jim, being a direct individual himself, just ate this cocky attitude shit up, and thoroughly expressed his excitement at finding someone who'll fit his style and needs so thoroughly. Yeah, I get the feeling I'm not gonna like this Jim so much, he and my husband think waaaaay too much alike!

Now, let me just comment briefly on the impeccable timing of this whole deal. Had this occurred, even 1 or 2 months ago, Bub absolutely would not have even entertained the idea. Had he any hope at all for the survival of the store, he would have passed immediately, assuming of course, that he could somehow manage to save his sinking ship. He is passionate about being his own boss, and owning his own (profitable) business. So anything less is viewed as failure in his eyes. But the fact that he finally gave up on the store and closed it down, and hadn't yet had the opportunity or capital to put his next venture in place, (yes, there's always a next one) means that this was the only time this could have worked out the way it did, thank goodness!! Yes Virginia, I do believe there's a Santa Claus. OMG! The relief at the thought of a steady, reliable paycheck! I just can't explain the magnitude of this after years of scraping by on the possibility or promise of some money coming from here or there. I could just cry. I am still stuck in disbelief, I just cannot wrap my head around the idea that we are going to get real, steady paychecks, that are actually enough to pay our bills! ENOUGH TO PAY OUR BILLS!! And potentially a whole lot more! I just don't even know what to say. I am shocked at how perfectly it all worked out. I can't believe my husband is getting up a 7:00 every morning, getting dressed in real clothes (business-casual), and working in an actual office for eight hours a day! God, I hope he doesn't screw this thing up! That is my worst fear, that he screws this up. From past experience, I know that he tends to get complacent, sleeping late, taking unnecessary liberties with a relaxed environment. He's really never fit it with the "corporate" environment, so I'm worried that this time will prove to be no different. But, at least the stability is here for now, and I'm going to try to be optimistic. I feel a weight has been lifted from my shoulders, and I can finally take a moment to relax a bit, because I now know (at least for the time being) that we will continue to have a place to live, electricity, a car to drive, food to eat, etc. Because, I gotta tell ya, after this last disaster, I was really beginning to wonder. Oh! And I almost forgot one of the best parts of this whole thing! I finally have my house back!! I have it all to myself again, all day long. No more walking on eggshells, wondering if I'm gonna have to endure another 3-hour "discussion" during the middle of the day. Or not being able to go somewhere because of the off chance that he may wake up and need me to take him on some crazy errand. I have my cherished freedom and solitude back, with no more anxiety filled sense of impending doom in the pit of my stomach. Normalcy. But a new normalcy, one based on monetary stability. A type of normalcy I've never really experienced before, but am sooooo looking forward to. Oh my god, please don't let this house of cards come crashing down. I need this stability right now, I absolutely need it. It's about damn time.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fate?? You call this FATE?!? My dear, do you have no idea how many readers here have been hoping and praying, sending good vibes and offering to give up their first born to ensure that Bub finally comes through and does something worthwhile for you and Emmy?! We all figured that since you insist on staying with him, then we had to gather all our powers together to change destiny so that life with him would be more tolerable! If you insist, though, perhaps I'll agree to give fate a little credit, too. :)

However it came about, I'm thrilled for you!! I know the extra money will ease a lot of the pressure, but the thought of him being out of the house and letting you exist in peace is just as exciting! He will NOT screw up. We will NOT allow it! I'm so happy you're getting your life back!!

4:45 PM  
Blogger Dianne said...

Well I told you I was praying for you and I feel this is a total God thing! Even if you don't want to recognize this. God is awesome! I am very happy for you!

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home