Tuesday, February 13, 2007

IT SOLD!!!

Hot diggity damn, the Durango sold! OMG, I am beside myself with joy and relief. No more car payments, period. Such a weight has been lifted, it’s wonderful!! We even got enough to pay off that initial amount I charged to my credit card to bring the payments current. It still wasn’t enough to cover a couple hundred dollars worth of work we had done to it, but that’s okay, the important stuff will be handled, the debt wiped clean! Woohoo!! Happy dance, happy dance! This, of course, makes the rest of my post that much better. I started writing what follows a few days ago, before we sold the car, so the significance of it has just become even greater.

From Saturday…

Well, I got tired of waiting and wondering, so I decided to contact a mortgage company to see what exactly it would take for me to attain credit worthiness for home ownership. I was hoping for some tips and maybe some sort of a plan to follow to get myself started on the right track. I already expected a long wait, and some hard work, and a lot of saving, so I was prepared for whatever they had to say. I told the nice lady about my situation and gave her the go ahead to pull my credit report, and you know what she found? A pretty damn good score all things considered. HUH? She said that once we get that stupid Durango sold, and I have a little more time under my belt with my second job, getting me a loan shouldn’t be a problem at all. In fact, she said if I was ready for it, she could probably get the process started this summer! It wouldn’t be anything extravagant, of course, as I simply couldn’t afford the payments on the type of house I’d like to have. But that’s okay; it’s well worth it. Like having kids, if I wait til you can afford it (it being my dream house) then I’ll never have it. As always, baby steps are the way to go. Anyway, I was surprised, to say the least, but oh so glad I asked. I honestly didn’t think this would be an attainable goal for the near future; so hearing this news has really given me some motivation to reach that goal. Luckily Bub put as much of his crazy business crap in his own name as possible, knowing that at least one of us would need to have salvageable credit one day, so for that at least, I am thankful. In fact, the Durango is the last debt we have left that is technically in both of our names. The other things, like his student loans, he just expects me to help with since the debts were incurred together during our marriage, but my name is not actually on them. And seeing as how he has no intention of paying those debts for as long as he can get away with it, then I’m really not gonna worry too much about it. We’ll cross those bridges when we come to them. Anyway, for now, the first order of business is to start some savings, and then to keep the bigger picture in mind when contemplating sticking to my budget. And then maybe, just maybe, by this time next year, Em, Mischief, and I will be happily settled into our own little home with a fenced in back yard and wall colors of our very own choosing. Ahhhhh…

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, such good news! I'm very happy for you. In regards to Bub's student loans, if he expects you to help pay them off, then wouldn't it make sense to get going on that, to save on interest that will grow during the time he keeps putting it off? IF it were me and IF I decided to be a good ex-wife and help pay, then I would draw up an agreement with my ex, stating what part I will pay and then pay it directly to the loan and be done with it. Let him sit on his portion and grow interest that he will be responsible for and check one more debt off your list!
Start dreaming of that house with a yard and room colors of your own choosing. Summer is only 120 days away! (my daughter is counting down the days until she can go visit her grandma for the summer).

Congrats again, you deserve a few happy dances!

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WooHoo! no more Durango! That is fabulous! I am also very jazzed about the possibility of you becoming a homeowner. What a great step! Too bad our area is so damned pricey that you can't move out this way. Sob.
I'll keep good thoughts about the house though.
Hugs and more hugs
Sandy

12:47 PM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

That is totally great news Bev!!

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doing the happy dance with you!!! That is so exciting on both fronts. His student loans will catch up with him and he'll end up getting his wages garnished. If they don't have your social then I don't know that they can come after you. I'm not sure though.

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news about the not so distant future house ! I can't remember, are you and Bub divorced or just separated ? Would that make any difference as respects to HIS student loans ?

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woo hoo! I'm doing the happy dance, too (let's call it the Durango Tango!!) Wonderful news.

As is the very real possibility of home ownership. I know it wasn't that long ago when you considered it only a dream. Well, dreams can come true and its because of YOU!

So happy for you :)

7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on selling the Durango and on the house prospects! It must be a huge relief to have that thing sold and off your mind. And how exciting that buying a house isn't that far of a reach. In no time you'll be having picnics in your OWN backyard. We already know Em has a knack for gardening... well, digging at least.

2:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home