Sunday, March 04, 2007

I'm 30. Yep, yesterday (Mar. 3) was my 30th. birthday. My brother and SIL invited Em and I over to celebrate, and this is what they made for me;



Garsh, ain't they just the sweetest?? ;D We had a very nice time, and since my brother was able to finagle himself one of those new LCD flat screen TVs for his own upcoming birthday, they decided to give me their old TV and their really pretty entertainment center as my birthday present. Cool huh? I'm pleased as punch as I've always admired their entertainment center, and I was really wishing I could get a new TV for my bedroom because the one I have now is going out. So this was perfect timing for me.

So, on to other news, we have a new baby in the house, and it's a girl!! That's right, Em and I adopted a new kitty from the Humane Society last weekend, and we've named her Bella.



Em and I fell in love with this angel faced, sweet little kitty a few weeks ago when we met her at PetSmart during the Humane Society’s weekly pet adoption day. She had been rescued from beneath a bush with a badly mangled hind leg and tail, apparently the work of horrible lawn mower accident. Unfortunately, the leg and tail had to be amputated, but she’s since bounced back beautifully. And believe me, you’d be hard pressed to convince this spunky little sweetie-pie that she’s even remotely disabled.



Bah, who needs four legs anyway!! She and Mischief had a rough first day getting to know each other complete with hissing and growling, but now it’s as if they’ve been BFFs all along. (Hey, I have a fourth grade girl, whaddaya expect?? ;D) Anyway, Em is just beside herself, as she’s been hounding me for another kitty for months now. As a matter of fact, in my infinite wisdom and exasperation, I had told her that getting another kitty was contingent upon us selling that damn truck, thinking of course, that it may NEVER sell since we hadn’t had much luck since we got it back last summer. So what was the first damn thing she asked me after I told her we sold it? Oh yeah, without even skipping a beat. “So we can get a kitty now, right??” Oh… there’s that. Alright, alright, now that I no longer had this enormous car payment, I could actually afford the extra expense of the adoption fees. (Woohoo on being able to afford an extra expense, GO ME!) So I called Bella’s foster mamma and we set it all up, and well, the rest was history. This was last Saturday, (Feb. 24) which also happened to be the day of the big County Spelling Bee. I’m proud to say that Em got up there like a trooper, despite her intense fears, and gave it her best shot. She ended up getting out on her first word, anchovy, which she spelled with an ie, but honestly, who cares? The fact that she did it at all impresses the hell outta me. Plus, the words were crazy hard, and about a third of the kids (ranging from 4th. to 8th. graders) got out on the first round, including the other little girl from Em's class who had been the first runner up in their school level competition. And to tell the truth, I was kinda relieved not to have to sit through the whole thing, yowsa!! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz I know, bad mommy, but honestly, can I get an amen here?!! ;D Anyway, I'd thought I'd post one last pic, which is of Em at the spelling bee, and then I'm outta here. BTW, thanks to everyone for your thoughtful and heartfelt comments on my last post, as always, I appreciate the unconditional love and support more than any of you will ever know.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dianne said...

Happy Happy Birthday! Mine was Friday. We are close but not in years hee hee.
Em looks wonderful I too am proud of her!
Kitty is blessed to have you two to love on her.

1:54 PM  
Blogger C.M.S. said...

Paulina here.....Another great blog filled with great news! Happy Birthday, happy new kitty and happy stepping stone for Em and her growing confidence!

8:34 PM  
Blogger Sandi said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

I am glad Em did so well. I knew she could do it!!

How awesome that you rescued that little kitty. You are awesome!!

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That cake is hilarious! Yes, 30 is a milestone (you're still a baby in my eyes though)and no doubt it'll be your best decade yet!

Good job with the spelling bee, Em. Next time they'll be no stage fright at all.

Typical Bev - comes into extra money and instead of spending it on herself, rescues a critter in need of some love. What a lovely gesture. :)

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry I missed your Birthday. Happy Belated Birthday.

Yay for Em participating in the Bee and congrats on the new "baby."

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home