Monday, November 19, 2007

How’s this for fru-fru redneck? Em calls me all excited from Memphis yesterday to tell me how new chick and her idiot fiancé had our 10-year-old daughter’s nails done as a “surprise”. And I don’t just mean a shape, a trim, and a shellacking, I mean honest to god acrylic nails! She’s 10! Hellooooo? Oh, and by the way, (he says to me later) you’ll have to get them “filled in” every few weeks by a manicurist. Gee, thanks for not only turning our daughter into a hussy, but I get to pay for the upkeep as well. Are you freakin kidding me?! No offense nail ladies, there’s elegant and then there’s trashy; on a 10-year-old I see trashy, so sue me. Okay, okay, I get that little girls like to play with fake nails. I, myself, was obsessed with them at her age. But I always got the press on kind that can come off before going into public. Never, ever did my mother take me to get the real thing. Hell, I don’t even know if I asked for such a thing, but if I did then I’m sure she would have found it quite amusing and politely nixed the idea in the bud before even an iota of hope had a chance to form in my adolescent head. So yeah, I’m a bit irritated. Ya think? Pffffft! I dunno, perhaps I’m overreacting (says that incessant little voice of doubt in my head), but if so then who cares, that’s my prerogative. Acrylicfreakingnails, sheesh…

I’ve been watching grown up movies in Em’s absence this week. Why? Cuz I can, that’s why. American Beauty moves me, every time I see it… the whole thing. You know, like the scene just after Shelby’s funeral on Steel Magnolias, gut-wrenching sorrow turned to uncontrollable laughter, though not exactly. In this case its just… peace, simple, reverent peace. Its fantastic really, we should all be so lucky as Lester. He got it, that elusive click as it pertains to everyone differently. It’s out there y’know, that click. I know, cuz I had it once too... You should see some of the looks I get when I call this one of my all time favorite movies. Some people get it, many more don’t. That’s okay, whatever floats yer boat I say. A Mighty Heart was heartbreakingly beautiful. In my self-analytical ways I find great interest in what moves me and why. For those who’ve seen it I’m sure you’ll recall the scene where one of the accomplices is being interrogated, strung up from the ceiling by his hands, partiallly nude. The man is weeping as he is being “questioned”, and then he finally breaks, sobbing his answers to their unrelenting questions. He’s a bad guy; of course he’s a bad guy. Yet this bad guy is suffering inhumanely, and to the point of mental discord. No matter what, my morality does not allow my mind to reconcile the two acts of wrong in order to make a right, period. The scene depicted was brief, and by all rights tame in our post 9/11 society. Yet its briefness and tameness did nothing to quail my horror and empathy for this broken, weeping man. Perhaps its just because I can relate so easily to the anguish of being broken in ways not unlike the torture he suffered. Perhaps I’m just a bleeding heart with too much time to be alone with my thoughts this week. But whatever it is, I feel it, and in that scene, it was too much. Conjured images of Gitmo and Abu Ghraib… too much.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being a "nail hussy" myself, I totally agree--acrylics on a 10 year old is ridiculous! Not to mention that it is NOT healthy for her nails! I would consider having them removed when she comes home...you can do it yourself by soaking the nails in acetone--melts the acrylic right off.

Jen415

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Acrylic nails on a 10 year old?? Sheesh! I had it done once for my daughter's wedding, and my nails were really bad underneath once the acrylics were gone. They have to sand them down to get the acrylics to stick on. She's gonna fight you if you try to take them off, I bet, although I like the idea of soaking them off. Hopefully if you can explain that you just can't afford to get them filled in (it's expensive!), and buy her press on nails, she'll be okay with that. New chick sounds like an idiot! Hope they don't take Em to get her hair done. Yikes!

Sheila53

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally remember your press-on nails! I was so jealous! Fake nails on a 10 year old are really inappropriate and the previous posters are right, they'll really mess up her nails. They'll take a while to recover afterwards too.

Perhaps use the tactic that they're unhealthy for her nails and maybe compromise with a normal manicure for both of you each once in a while... kind of a mom/daughter pampering day. None of this every couple of weeks bull. You should be able to find a salon that'll do a buff and polish for cheap. Oh yeah, is the new chick trying to buy Em's affection? WTF?

American Beauty is a really beautiful film and I haven't seen A Mighty Heart. Recommended?

1:30 PM  
Blogger B said...

lol, didn't I do your nails up once too Alex? Or maybe that was Susie... can't remember.

Yes, A Mighty Heart is highly recommended. The end... well we all know how it ends, but gut-wrenching nonetheless.

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! I can't believe they would think acrylics would be okay for a 10 year-old. Press-ons, yes. ;-D I remember press-ons and high heels. Bring back memories?

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

um, no. I'm with the acrylic nails on a 10 year old hate. Better watch out, next visit she may come home with tattooed eyeliner :(

American Beauty is a favourite film of mine, but I don't think I can bring myself to see A Mighty Heart.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Wien. said...

There's nothing wrong with being the mom and telling Em that the acrylics are not healthy for her body and they will be removed. My kids had to learn that I was not their best friend, I was the parent who's job it was to make sure they were safe. And yes, according to them, sometimes I'm mean and their dad is the fun one, but in the long run they'll know who had their best interests at heart. I think I'd have a word with Bub about that too.
W.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Sandi said...

OK, you know I am a nail die-hard..manicures...acrylic and gel all the way. A 10 year old needs a manicure only on a special occasion and there would never ever be a reason to get a 10 year old acrylics. Never Ever!!

2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home