Saturday, September 03, 2005

Sad news.

Sorry Jilly, the original owner's friends (the girls who actually came here in person) said that she would love to have a kitten in Whisker's place. My only problem with this (and why I didn't mention it sooner) is that she is very young (approx. 5) and I have not yet heard anything from a responsible adult who will ultimately be the determining factor. So... we're hopeful that things will work out for the best, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Now, for some sad, sad news. We've lost one of the kittens. Her name was Drama Queen, (due to the incessant mewing!) a multi-colored Calico who was just six weeks and two days old. We've noticed that she was on the smallish side in the last few weeks, but really thought nothing of it, assuming she was just the "runt". But it looks as though it just wasn't getting enough nourishment. She went downhill very quickly, in the matter of hours. Em noticed her lethargy and labored breathing at around 6:00 Friday evening, unfortunately, too late to take her to the Vet. The emergency Vet clinic said her only hope was to get her to feed. So we rushed to WalMart for some kitten formula and a tiny little bottle, but by the time we got back she wasn't even strong enough to suckle. I tried desperately to get her to swallow a few drops that I squeezed into her mouth, but it was just too late. She took her final jagged breath at around 10:00, let out one last sigh, and then quietly ascended up to kitten heaven where all the other "runts" were just waiting for her to come play with them (all this according to my devastated birthday girl). "Why today momma?" she asked with big 'ol crocodile tears running down her cheeks. "Why Drama Queen, my favorite one?" I dunno baby, I dunno. Part of life is death, it's just nature's way to ensure that only the strongest survive. Not much solace for a heartbroken child, I know, but how else could I explain the unfairness of it all? I assured her that there was nothing that could have been done. Although small, it was active and showing absolutely no signs of distress as early as Thursday evening. The simple truth is that it wasn't meant to be, regardless of how harsh or unfair it is. She has been able to take some comfort in the idea that the kitten knew Em loved her deeply, and that she's probably up there telling all the other runts about this wonderful girl who took such good care of her, and who she will miss with all her heart. But last night was hard, as she lay cradled in my arms crying broken-hearted tears, I ached to take away her pain, to shelter her from the unfairness, but knowing there was nothing I could do except hold her and tell her it would be better soon, to just give it some time. But what is "some" time to a child with a broken heart?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I wouldn't be giving up Whiskers or a kitten until an adult has approached you ~ seems rather strange that one of the little girl's parents hasn't come by to visit you yet.

So sorry about the loss of li'l Drama Queen and even sorrier that the sad event had to take place on Emmy's birthday. Sigh. I know our children have to learn about death eventually and that its a necessary part of the growing process, but its so difficult to see those heartbroken tears and not agree that that life (and death) is all so unfair...

1:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home