Sunday, September 11, 2005

Updates

Thanks Jilly, I know I'm being hard on myself (especially about Emmy) but sometimes it does feel so hopeless (when I let it). I imagine it must drive you nuts to not be able to shake me and say, "What are you doing? Get out of there!". Thank you for being my friend and respecting my wishes. I don't think a lot of people would be able to and that's one of the reasons why I never share this part of my life with others. Again, your unconditional support means more to me than you'll ever know.

It looks like the sick little kitten, who we've now named Precious, is gonna make it! She is frail and weak, but definitely on the mend. She's been able to take a few shaky steps today and is happily drinking her nutrient enriched kitten formula with much more vigor than before. The two remaining healthy kittens are now fully weaned and liter box trained, and ready to be relocated to happy new homes. I imagine we'll be keeping Precious for quite a bit longer, perhaps indefinitely, but we'll see.

Just a note on the topic of Whiskers' (aka: Gracie's) previous owner. I have the feeling that she was never quite considered a treasured family pet, thus the lack of interest in her return. Just the fact that neither the girl or her parents have made any effort to contact us, leads me to believe that they're not particularly torn up about losing her in the first place. Our initial alarm at the prospect of giving up our beloved Whiskers has now subsided, and we've been able to breath a collective sigh of relief. Whew, thank goodness!

My mom says grandma is doing much better. She's been able to eat some broth and Jello and the like. While it's not been much, and still nothing solid, at this point anything is better than nothing, right? No word yet on the nursing home scenario, and I remain hopeful that it will not have to come to that.

On a final note, I just can't let the day pass by without some mention of 9/11. It's so hard to believe that it's been four years ago already. I guess it's true what they say, that time does heal all wounds. And while those more personally impacted by this fateful day may not be able to agree with me quite yet, I know that I am at least able to think of it without automatically crying anymore, which is saying a lot. I've been trying to stay away from the television specials and documentaries that are so prevalent right now. I just don't want to go back to that place of horror and despair if I don't have to, like I did in the previous years. I decided that I will remember in my own way this time, without the horrific images and disturbing emotions they always conjure up. It seems so surreal now, doesn't it? At the time I remember thinking; how can we ever move past this? And here we are now, four years later... life does, indeed, go on. It's hard to believe right now, but the same will eventually hold true for Katrina victims/survivors as well, regardless of how impossible it may feel. This world has weathered many unimaginable horrors, and unfortunately, has yet to weather so many more. But somehow, we as a people, always manage to prevail, and I have to believe that we always will.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's just say my New Year's Resolution was to exercise more restraint and patience, so being your friend is great practice in that regard (tee hee, you know I luv ya!)

Good for Precious, she's a fighter so I think you should definitely keep her! Glad to hear Grandma's putting up a fight, too. Go Grandma!

As for Whisker's previous owners, you've given them plenty of opportunity to contact you and they haven't, so unless a weeping five year old shows up at your front door I'd say its finders keepers.

Its so hard for me to comprehend that four years have passed since 9/11. That whole day, and many afterwards, remain forever etched in my mind. It was frightening and sad, yet uplifting in that people pulled together, for each other and for the country. It's that spirit that makes me believe the U.S. will always stand strong. Of course those who were lost will always be mourned and missed terribly, but the passing of time does make it easier to smile, rather than cry, while remembering the good times with loved ones...

2:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home