Friday, October 21, 2005

Million dollar dreams

340 million dollar PowerBall lottery in Missouri this week. I think the winner ended up being from Ohio or Oregon or something, but who cares? All I know is that it wasn't me! We don't have lotteries or legalized gambling here in Arkansas. We do have the horse races though, so I don't quite get that one?? But, at any rate, I can't just go to a local gas station and waste a buck on the chance of a lifetime, if I wanted to. You should have seen how my scheming little brain was trying to come up with a feasible excuse to talk my in-laws (the Baptist preacher and his wife) who live near the Missouri border, into going against their religious beliefs about gambling for the chance at half of $340 million. And I would have had them too, if it wasn't for my somewhat fanatical FIL, as my MIL is a complete phony, and would likely have sold her first born in a heartbeat for that kind of money. But I was a good girl and didn't ask, yet I also couldn't justify driving the 4-6 hours it would take to get to the border, so I was just plum out of luck on this one. I have to say though, I think it's completely ridiculous that we don't have some kind of state lottery here. I mean, do they not get the enormous amount of revenue something like that would generate? Duh! Their thinking is that the people who spend the most on these kinds of things are the very ones who can afford it least. Well, don'tcha think that ought to be up to all of us poor, working class folks to decide on just how we want to spend our own hard earned cash? You know, I also can't pick up a cold beer or a bottle of wine either, as I live in what's known as a "dry" county, meaning no alcohol can be bought or sold here. This is also completely ridiculous, IMO, but, unfortunately, quite typical here in the religiously fanatical bible belt, where I currently reside. But seeing as how I don't care to drink alcohol myself, I really don't get too hot and bothered about it. My only real beef with it being someone else getting to decide whether or not I (being of legal drinking age) can order a glass of wine with my own freaking dinner, as if they are completely entitled to do so! But I'm not gonna get into that right now, 'cause my feelings on my rights and the rights of others run long a deep, and are probably best kept to myself or left for another discussion entirely. My real focus, before accidentally sliding off into that little tangent, was what on earth could I do with 340 million dollars?!! Can you imagine how many people in my life, or unsuspecting strangers who just can't seem to catch a break, could benefit from that ridiculous amount of money? How many family members and friends children I could provide a college education for? How many people's lives could I literally change forever? OMG! I would be such a good rich person too! No really, I would. Just give me a chance, I swear I could prove it! ;D Plus, in all honesty, I can't imagine my tastes would change much anyway. I mean, rich or not, this chick would still be shopping the clearance racks at WalMart. Buying off name brand paper towels, and stocking up on chicken whenever it goes on sale, just like always. I don't need a 10 million dollar estate, or a fleet of hundred thousand dollar cars. My goals are simple, I want to own my own home, preferably with a kick ass kitchen and a jet tub in the bathroom, own my own dependable car, be completely debt free, and be able to relax a little when it comes to my finances. I don't think that's too much to ask, is it? Really though, 340 million dollars is way more than one person really ought to ever have. Not while so many others are living payday to payday, just hoping that the electricity doesn't get cut off before they can cash their paycheck on Friday. I guess that's why these powerballs are able to become so enormous. It's that chance that maybe, just maybe, someone who just can't seem to catch a break could live out that impossible dream. On the other hand, I bet it would be a nightmare to win that kind of money. I bet they have low-lifes and creeps just crawling out of the woodwork, glomming on to them like they're old best friends. Plus, the incredible quilt and pressure that surely must come with the inability to help everyone who needs or wants it. I just don't think I could handle it. Of course, that doesn't mean that I don't still want the chance to find out! Really though, a cool few million would do me up just right! ;D Man 'o man, the things I would have done to this body of mine, if I had that kind of cash just laying around! They'd have to feature it on an episode of Overhaulin' for the amount of work I'd have done! So, I guess I would have to splurge a bit there, and on that kick ass kitchen I've been jonesen for, but other than that, I'd be one tight-assed, miserly millionaire! 'Cause I don't care what kind of quality, or who's self-indulgent name is stitched into the label, there isn't an article of clothing in this world that's worth more than $50.00 to me, (which is really pushing it since I usually won't spend anything over $15.00) and to tell you the truth, if I can't get it at WalMart then I probably don't need it anyway! Sure, I get the whole concept of getting what you paid for, and I understand the need to opt for quality over price on some of the really important stuff. But where on earth does $600.00 for a pair of freaking shoes play into that equation? Not in my little world, that's for damn sure! Anyway, I guess I'd better get my head out of the clouds and get back to work, 'cause this poor chick still needs to earn a livin, until I hit my own jackpot that is!

1 Comments:

Blogger Dianne said...

Oh ladies I am dreaming with you too! We don't have the powerball in Michigan either. We have mega millions though and when it gets over one hundred million I always go buy a ticket it is a cheap dream! I would buy property and build a family compound ;). Take some wonderful vacations with everybody. I also agree on not buying those ridiculusly priced items. I like nice things don't get me wrong but I'm not crazy! I love TJMaxx and Marshall they have discount things have to shop it is real hit or miss. Great blog Beverly

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home