Sunday, November 06, 2005

Well, the wedding was laughable at best. The bride's family refused to attend, the bride asked me and another guest to take pictures with disposable cameras since the people who were supposed to do it never bothered to show up either, and one of the bridesmaids just didn't come, so the bride snatched an acquaintance out of the audience who she thought might fit the dress! OMG! And then the feeble old preacher halfheartedly fumbled through the ceremony, really only perking up as he expounded on how the wife is to always submit to the husband, and the husband apparently has to answer to no one except god. I literally had to stop myself from laughing out loud at the absurdity of it all. Anyway, my Emmy did beautifully as the flower girl, of course! But she was extremely nervous and forgot to start spreading the flowers when she first began walking. Poor thing, she just beats herself up for things she thinks she messed up on. She kept asking if it was okay and if anyone noticed. I tried to reassure her as much as possible, and tell her she did wonderfully, but she was still quite disappointed with herself regardless. Bub didn't think about the fact that as the best man, he'd be expected to make a speech, and of course, was completely unprepared. Is it so awful of me that I quite enjoyed seeing him so unsure of himself?! Tee hee, I treasure these little moments! Especially after the reaming I got for getting lost on the way to the church, ugh! In fact, this whole week has been a pretty stressful one. We've been moving all the left over inventory and other crap from the failed computer store, trying to shuffle it around as best we can until we get it all liquidated, and to be quite honest, we simply cannot move things together. But he had no one else to help him, so it was up to us to get it done. I won't go into details, but knowing how completely opposite our brains obviously work, I'll just say that this kind of stuff is never pretty, and I usually try to avoid these situations at all cost. Now, I know what you must be thinking, that I've given up on trying to stand up for myself more and speak my mind, but that's really not the case. It's more of a matter of knowing when to let things go, and choosing my battles. I'm working on baby steps here, and since this week has not been a typical one, with all the moving and stuff, I thinks it's best to concentrate on the every day issues before trying to tackle the less occasional problems. So, by no means are things great, or even a little good, but I am working on it one day at a time.

Anyway, the kids are busy watching Star Wars, so I'm taking a little me time on the computer while I have the chance. I typically don't get the time or privacy I need to blog on the weekends, so I'm enjoying this little reprieve. Once again, it seems that I could come up with something a little more interesting to write about, but I'm still not in much of an introspective mood. That probably explains why I haven't worked much on this book I'm supposed to be writing either. It seems that I'm just unmotivated to work on it lately, choosing instead to put it off in favor of completing much more mundane tasks. I believe I go through cycles of motivation and inspiration, which would also explain my lack of posting at 3fc in recent weeks too. Well, that and the fact that things are picking up with work, and when I don't feel I have enough time to devote the kind of energy I think it deserves to all the posts I want to respond to, I tend to get overwhelmed and simply start lurking instead. But I'm sure I'll be back in full force, once I get through this latest cycle. Unfortunately, the work stuff is only going to get worse until well after the beginning of the year. In case no one recalls, I work from home as the technical support person for an internationally sold, church management software called MinistryWare. It's main purpose is to keep track of church members, and more importantly, their monetary contributions. So the end of the year is when reports must be printed and handed out regarding their giving for the year, so they can claim it on their taxes. And lemme just tell ya, all those little old ladies who have absolutely no business even looking at a computer, have the unique ability to make my life a living hell, come time for reports. As I always like to say, you just can't fix stupid! But for some reason, I have this uncanny ability to patiently and compassionately walk them through the program time, and time again, regardless of their actual ability to use it. I really don't know where it comes from either, since I don't have nearly this much patience in "real" life, but I make it work some how. Anyway, it's a cushy-ass job that pays way more than what it's really worth, especially during the slow months. So I'll just continue to count my blessings and be thankful for what I have, even if it means putting up with a few pretty crappy months every year. Like I've said before, it's a small price to pay for the incredible amount of freedom I enjoy with this job, and I wouldn't want it any other way. Well... I guess I could live with becoming filthy rich and never having to work again, but I digress!

Anyway, the movie is almost over, so I guess I'm outta here for today. Good grief, now I gotta figure out what the hell I'm gonna make for dinner! Nooooooo! ;D

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man, that wedding sounds like something out of a bad sitcom ~ I would have had to leave the church or risk snorting out loud with laughter! I'm sure Emmy looked lovely and I like the idea of Bub squirming at the head table trying to put together an impromptu speech bwaaahhhhhh ;)

9:36 PM  
Blogger GW said...

I was just going to say, I think that wedding could easily be produced as an episode of "My Name is Earl". LOL!!

11:16 PM  
Blogger Amy K. said...

So when they say "MinistryWare is designed to be easy enough for a novice computer user and yet powerful enough to fit the needs of any church." They really mean "Even novice users can call Beverly and have her walk through our software."

It sounds like you have a rough few months ahead. Best of luck, I hope end-of-year reporting goes better than expected!

12:31 PM  
Blogger B said...

Ha, that's good Amy! We ought to make that our new tag line! ;D

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home