Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Whiskers

Whiskers is sick, very sick. She's always been skinny, even though she eats constantly, but this week she's drastically skinnier. About two weeks ago she had a bout with vomiting, which passed in a few days so I chalked it up to her getting into something she shouldn't have. Since then she's been eating regularly, yet she seemed to be losing weight. We had some Nutrical stuff left over from when Precious was sick, which is basically like Ensure or something, but it's a calorie rich paste that you add into the food. So I've been giving her that to try to fatten her up, but there really hasn't been much change. Then, yesterday, I walked into the bathroom, where her litter box is located, and found her laying down in the litter. I picked her up and set her down on the floor and she just kind of laid over to one side. So I brought her to the couch and set her down on a pillow, where she stayed for several hours. I brought her food and water, which she eagerly ate and drank, but still continued to lay in the same spot. Once, when Bub opened a can of Spaghettios in the kitchen, she tried to jump up and run in there, being the absolute food whore that she is, but she was too weak and just laid back down. She did eventually make her way into the kitchen slowly, but I took her back to the couch so that she would be more comfortable. Anyway, this morning there was no change. I brought her more food and water and she did eat a little. And I also took her to the litter box thinking that she surely must need to use it, and she did, but she could only barely hold herself up. So, I took her to the vet after that and he called a little bit ago with some bad news. He thinks she's in liver failure due to what could possibly have been a birth defect that is only just now catching up with her and causing her to deteriorate. He said he could try to help her if we want him to, but he thinks she has very little chance and recommends euthanasia.

Continuation...

It's Tuesday now, yesterday was just too busy to finish up my post, and a lot has happened since then. Bub took off work early so we could go speak with the vet in person and make a decision about Whiskers. It was heartbreaking, but after considering the vet's recommendation and explaining Whiskers' dire situation to Em, we collectively came to the decision to let our dear, sweet kitty go. We removed her collar to remember her by and we each said our goodbyes with lots of love and kisses sweet words whispered into her ears. We gave the vet the go ahead and allowed our loving kitty to pass peacefully and painlessly off to sleep. I think it hurt the wonderful, caring staff at the vet's office almost as much as it did us, as they've grown to know and love Whiskers as well. But we all knew it was for the best, and their somber, heartfelt condolences were greatly appreciated. I must remember to drop a thank you note in the mail for them ASAP.

I like to think that we were able to give Whiskers a more satisfying and loving end to her life than the one she would have experienced had she remained a stray. I hope she could tell just how much she was truly loved, and that we will miss her dearly. Em is handling it okay, but she has asked me not to talk about it yet. I guess she wants some time to process it in her own way, or perhaps, pretend it never even happened? I dunno, but if she doesn't bring it up, then I'll prompt her about it in a few days, 'cause I don't think she should try to keep it all bottled up inside. I'll be gentle, and I'll give her some time like she requested, but I think she needs to get her feelings out, so we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. As for now, we are thankful that we decided to keep our sweet little Precious; I think her presence will do wonders for easing the pain of losing Whiskers, and help to fill the void that her passing has left. So, that's it for now. I'm gonna start a whole other post about Halloween and Em's pumpkin decorating contest because I don't feel it belongs in this one, so stay tuned, more is soon to come!

2 Comments:

Blogger illahee said...

i sorry for the loss of your cat, it sounds like you all loved her very much.

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear....what sad, sad news to return home to. Seeing as it was the result of a birth defect that couldn't allow for a happy ending, I think its wonderful that Whiskers was able to spend her final weeks in the comfort of a loving home where she was pampered and had her kittens taken care of (yes, I think she knew that). I hope Emmy (and the whole family) recovers from the loss quickly, all the while remembering the happiness Whiskers brought to your home. As for Precious, she is indeed a precious gift to your family.

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home