Thursday, May 04, 2006

So get this; Em decided that she wasn't comfortable with the idea of Hunter's (lil' McDreamy) invitation to the sock hop being so "date" like, so she totally shut him down saying that she'd rather just hang out and dance with her girlfriends! He, of course, begged her to reconsider, but she stood her ground and refused to give in. Now that's my girl! She told him that she still likes him and wants to be friends, but that she doesn't think they're old enough to treat anything like a date yet. Damn, maybe I am teaching her something useful, go figure! Anyway, he gladly accepted her limits, just happy knowing that they could at least remain friends. Now ain't that just a kicker? Whew, perhaps the inevitable boyfriend drama has been averted for at least a little while longer... I hope! Anyway, she had a total blast at the dance, and was pleased as punch at how her poodle skirt turned out, as was I! BTW, thanks for the tips Dawnyal, but I had already improvised a stitch free version by the time I saw your comments. Me and sewing? Nuh-uh, this chick is completely clueless on that front! Anyway, here's some pics: (not too shabby, if I do say so myself!)


I also just wanted to say thanks for all the awesome parenting advice. I know it's high time I set some firm boundaries, but I also know that I'm gonna need help. Cause if I had any idea bout how to accomplish that particular feat, I'd have done it long ago! So, like I said, I plan to work closely with Em's counselor (her next appt. is Friday) on this stuff, and also do some extensive reading on the subject. I went ahead and reserved a copy of this from the library, hoping it may help shed a little light on all this effective parenting mumbo jumbo. ;D

4 Comments:

Blogger Jeanette B said...

That book will be an excellent resource for you! The whole "Boundaries" series is pretty good, actually. I think you will find lots of help there.

BTW, the skirt turned out great!

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, the skirt turned out perfectly! What a pretty little sweetheart she is (though I think I might see a little bit of that attitude in her eyes) ;)

12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great poodle skirt. Em looks fabulous!
As for "parenting skills"
Trust me, there is no one way to do it. Each child has their own reaction to limits and frankly you have to be very flexible and willing to change tactics at a moment's notice. Your counselor will be a great help to you. She will get to know Em and will be able to steer you in the right direction when it comes to her. Sorry, no magic bullet.
hugs to you both

12:22 PM  
Blogger BethK said...

OMG! How adorable. Nice job Mom!

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home