Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The silly boy would like to read my blog. Um… noooo! Its personal I said, but its online for the world to see, he countered. It’s different somehow. Perhaps I’ll let you read the memoir someday I joked. Satisfied. Appeased for now, phew!! No annoyance, no lists of reasons why I should give in or guilt trips, just playful countering then acceptance. Now was that so hard? Good guys are an interesting breed, not quite sure what to make of them yet. ;-) He asked if he could buy Em a bike since hers was stolen some time back. I didn’t think it was a good idea but I have such trouble telling people no. His offer was sweet and wrought with only the best of intentions, but as yet inappropriate nonetheless. He could tell I was apprehensive so he said to think it over, no biggie. I called my mom to get her advice and she agreed that it wasn’t a good idea because of Em’s attachment issues. And I simply wasn’t comfortable allowing her to think that it came from me if it didn’t, even though he had suggested that as an option to quail my concern. So I get myself all psyched up to turn down his perfectly lovely and generous offer when he says, you know what, I thought about it and I don’t think it’s such a good idea either. Simple as that. Rational, reasonable, practical and considerate. Who’da thunk? Silly boys...sigh.

I love my world lit teacher, what a character!! My math class actually seems interesting; things I’ll need in the real world like figuring probability and statistics. My comp 2 prof ended up being switched to someone else in the department, which I was fairly bummed about but not enough to deal with the headache of changing my schedule. And then there’s public speaking… Why oh why must we put ourselves through such turmoil just to get a degree under out belts? You know more people are afraid of speaking in front of a group than they are of dying? Helloooooo? What does this say? Oh… I guess it says that we should all take a public speaking course in order to overcome our fears huh? Okay, okay, I concede the point, but damn! Grumble, hiss, snarl…

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Public speaking was my worst fear until I took the class. Now I don't mind at all. In fact, if you give me a microphone I tend to become quite the ham. (grin)
Yes, there are ratioanl men out there. And yes, they do nice things and have reasonable thoughts and actions. (grin again)

11:50 AM  
Blogger Sandi said...

I loved public speaking..I guess that's why I do OK teaching.

I think a really big group might make me nervous.

So about this boy...would you say he is your...boyfriend? Are you dating?

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to get freaked out and would turn a 5 minutes speech into a 2 minute debacle. I did get the most-improved award in my speech class though :)

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What got me through my public speaking class was one thing: I knew that everyone in that class felt the same way I did. We all hated speaking in front of a group, and we were ALL required to take the darn class. That cynical and sarcastic attitude, felt by everyone, made the class enjoyable. ;-D

You made the right move in turning down his offer to buy Em a new bike. It's a wonderful gesture, but not really appropriate.

How come I broke out in a cold sweat when you mentioned a math class!?!?

11:36 PM  
Blogger Navigator of Life said...

I didn't want to take that Public Speaking class either. I found that I didn't have as much trouble with the actual speaking as I did coming up with something interesting to talk about. Writing what I would say was a much bigger issue for me. I can't see you having much trouble with that part, you seem like a very interesting person with lots of very good/strong ideas. I am willing to bet you end up liking that class a lot more than you think. Have fun and remember, all the class is thinking while you are up talking... is "I'm glad it's not me up there speaking".

Lyn

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't mind public speaking, but I'm used to making a fool of myself in public. I think that's why people fear dying less - if you die in an embarrassing or humiliating manner, you won't be around to agonize over it.

The bike was a lovely offer, but premature. Plenty of time for that sort of thing in the future. So glad he came to that conclusion himself and saved you the trouble. Then again, somehow I don't think you would have had to exhaust a lot of energy in justifying your thoughts and feelings to him the way you were forced to in the past - you know to that person who took no notice anyway? ;)

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home