Saturday, September 17, 2005

Well, I think my most recent ongoing headache stretch may have finally come to an end. YAY! I'm feeling pretty good today, and I'm hopeful it won't decide to come back later. *fingers crossed* Last night we played miniature golf with another couple at Playworld, and I am proud to say that I am the new mini golf champ of the world!! Okay, maybe not the world, but I seriously kicked some ass last night! Aaaaand... my little Emmy-pie came in second! She was so proud of herself, especially since she was playing against all adults. She did so great! Overall it was a good night, and the weather was fabulous. It's finally starting to cool down in the evenings now, thank goodness! There was little to no humidity and a nice breeze, so everyone was completely comfortable in short sleeves and I only needed a light jacket, which is just how I like it. I'm glad summer if finally coming to an end, even though I know I'm gonna be freezing constantly during the coming fall and winter, I still despise being too hot. I am seemingly unable to regulate temperature correctly in my body. I've always had a problem with not perspiring enough to cool my body effectively when I'm hot, which means I almost immediately go into heat exhaustion even with very little exposure. Luckily, this problem has lessened some with the weight loss, since it's so hard for my body to even get warm anymore, but this, of course, leads to the other end of the spectrum where I am constantly cold. It's been very difficult to find a happy medium with me, but I am getting used to it and I won't complain (too much ;D). I figure it's a small price to pay considering the alternative. I'd still rather be cold than hot though, since you can always put more clothes on to warm up, but you can't always just take 'em all off when you're too hot. Well, I guess you could... but others may not be so appreciative of that concept! :0

Anyway, I took Em to the park and the library today. What a great park day! Awesome weather, cool breeze, bright and sunny, and I guess everyone else thought so too, the place was packed! Em ran around like a mad woman, expending vast amounts of pent up energy, and trying to work up the nerve to slide down the fireman's pole the right way rather than sitting down first before grabbing on. She didn't quite make it this time, (she inherited my deathly fear of heights) but says she's gonna keep trying (when she's a little bigger!) Oh well, maybe next time. Plus, just the fact that she went down it at all, sitting or otherwise, was a major accomplishment in itself. Baby steps, baby steps. Then, at the library, she picked up one of her beloved Goosebumps books that she's been dying to read, but they haven't had until now, so that made her day. I scoured around for something good to read too, but my inability to make a decision for myself when confronted with too many options, once again proved to be a nuisance. I like to see a review or get a recommendation from someone before I actually read a new book, just so I know what I'm getting myself into. Yea, I've never exactly been accused of being a risk taker! Hmmm, go figure.

Right now, Em's new friend Cheryl from down the street is over to play, in fact they are digging into Em's birthday Floam as I type, creating something magnificently crafty, I'm sure. Cheryl is a sweet girl, she 9 (1 year older than Em) and in the fourth grade at Em's school, but she could easily pass for 12 or 13. Em is tall for her age, but Cheryl is probably about two heads taller than her, and sadly, very overweight. She reminds me a lot of myself at her age. I was always one of the tallest and biggest girls in school, or even the boys, now that I think of it. And I just cringe when I think of what the future may hold for this dear child. If it's anything like my own childhood, it will be filled with ruthless teasing and almost relentless torment just for being "the fat girl". Exactly the kind of childhood that I am so determined to shield Emily from. I just can't stand the thought of her going through what I did as a child, but on the other hand, I want to make sure she doesn't become one of the tormenters either. That's why I try so hard to teach her acceptance and tolerance of others. I want her to have compassion and innately know that beauty comes from within. And I think I'm doing a good job of it so far, (I hope) but really, only time will tell. At any rate, Em sees her new friend as a girl who loves to play Bratz just like her, nothing more, nothing less. Yeah, I think I can live with that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home