Friday, August 31, 2007

I’m desperately trying not to let myself get overwhelmed but my god, what a week! I’ve gotten used to the ebb and flow, classes in the morning, work the rest of the day, then the endless reading. But my time management skills certainly aren’t the best, so the sheer amount of crap to be done each day, well… it’s a bit much for me. Not unexpected though, just tough. I love my writing class; it’s by far the most fun. We were assigned to write a narrative about something we’re passionate about, as long as it was a significant event in our lives and it really happened to us, but pretty much it could be about anything. She said one chick even wrote about having her "hood" pierced, which I refuse to explain here, but Google is but only a click away to those of you who simply must know. So something I’m passionate about huh? Realizing that I must be far from over the trauma of my great escape, that topic was the first to pop into my head so I chose to use it. Perhaps a bit heavy for our first assignment, but it felt right so I went with it. I’m anxious to get feedback on it, and I promise to post what I hear, good or bad. Even if she says, “dayum girl, you were just supposed to write about the first time you drove a car!” or some shit like that. Either way, it was cathartic writing it out the way I did, so for that reason I’d say it served its purpose. It’s specifically about the day of the great escape and all that the day entailed, which I don’t mind sharing with anyone who’s interested, so just let me know.

Anyway, Sunday is Em’s big 10th birthday. We’re having a small party here with just some of her friends, which she requested and quite frankly I’m grateful for. Last year all I heard about was how Bub didn’t want to have to be in the same room as my family, and how we were gonna have to come up with something different next year because everything is always all about him, of course. I remember saying, in my gentle, non-confrontational way, so as not to get him started, how this wasn’t really about what he wants since its Em’s birthday party. And I swear to you, the concept went completely over his head. Not even an acknowledgment, just more about what an inconvenience it was to him. Idiot.

So I need to get busy cleaning house, and mentally preparing myself for five tween girls hyped up on cake and Twister. I tried to talk her into party games like pin the tail on the donkey but that’s still decidedly uncool. Even though I know it will eventually be uncool enough to be cool again… at some point. I also got her ears pierced a second time as a birthday present to her. But I told her that was it, she certainly doesn’t need anymore holes in her head!

I’m also about to let momma bear loose and raise a stink at her new school. They started all of the kids out on regular schedules with the intention of moving them to GT (gifted & talented) classes once they were certain who would qualify for what. Well, in that time Em has grown exceptionally fond of her regular math class and teacher and she’s actually enjoying math for the first time… ever. So when the form came home indicating that she did indeed qualify for GT math (and reading) I marked the box saying no, do not put my child in GT math. I mean I’d rather have her enjoy the class and do well rather than just get by in a class she’s not happy in. There’s time to worry about taking advanced placement classes, but right now I just want her to embrace a love of learning, which unfortunately I never did… until now. So anyway, the new schedules came home today and guess who got switched to GT math? Yep, and lemme tell ya, I was not a happy camper! Neither was she, thinking that there wasn’t anything we could do about it since they just switched her despite my wishes. But I assured her that would definitely not be the case cuz mom can ALWAYS do something about it. See what I mean, momma bear, grrrrr! ;-)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday Em. Sounds like you are settling in with all the new things going on. I have no doubts that you will find your groove soon. I too would throw a stink about her math class especially if she really likes it.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Wien. said...

I'm betting that you're going to score off the charts with your Great Escape paper. Those of us who read along with you during those trying times couldn't stay away from your blog. We were captivated and on the edge of our seats wanting to know that you and Em were finally safe. Let us know your teacher's comments. (Your blog inspired me to create one of my own.)

Regarding Em's math class, go get 'em! No means No. If they felt you made a mistake in saying no, then they should have conferenced with you before over riding your decision.

I always tell my kids that smart kids don't get bored. Their brains always find something for them to do. If the class she was loving got too easy for her, then she could work ahead, or find extra credit to keep busy with, but the bottom line is, she was happy in the class and doing well! What more could a parent, or teacher for that matter ask for?

Good luck and let us know what happens.

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope the birthday party went great for Em. Hugs and kisses to her.

I would totally release momma bear on the school for that. I never understoon math (mostly algebra) and absolutely hated it from 6th grade through high school, and always had teachers who didn't have the patience to really teach me. It's so important to have a teacher she actually likes. There is no reason whatsoever that they shouldn't respect your wishes.

Go get 'em! Let us know how it goes.

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home