Sunday, September 10, 2006

Senseless

My stepsister’s long time boyfriend, whom Em and I had the pleasure of meeting while in CA this summer, was killed by a drunk driver Friday afternoon.

My heart aches. My reaction? ANGER. How dare he? How dare anyone for that matter? What gives this (or any) idiot the right to take the lives of others into his own hands by knowingly getting behind the wheel of a car while under the influence? To cut a life short, thereby affecting the lives of countless others, because he was so careless and arrogant to think that he was invincible? To think that his actions would be of no consequence to the unsuspecting souls who never even had the chance to cast a vote in how their lives would proceed that day? My only hope is that the magnitude of the depths of pain he has and will continue to cause in the lives of those affected will haunt him every day for the rest of his life, which I can only hope will mostly be spent behind bars.

Angry… and helpless. Helpless to right the wrong, to make sense out of the senseless, to lessen the pain of their grief and mourning.

Perhaps it’s naive, but I would also like to think that the realization of this tragedy has shown some other would be drunk driver how quickly this one avoidable choice can destroy so many lives including his/her own. I hope so, I truly truly hope so. Wishful thinking? Maybe. But I prefer to believe in at least the possibility of it. Something to hold on to when there is so little else.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dianne said...

So sorry to hear of the loss.

I am so behind you on the disgust with people who drive under the influence, or preoccuppied with other things, or so rushed, or so rude, the list goes on. I mean come on get in your lane and drive correctly if everyone would only obey the law we would all get there safely! Pray your sister is doing ok. Glad she has a lot of support.

5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What horrible news, Bev. I feel so badly for your stepsister and everyone else who has been affected by this completely senseless tragedy.

Its sad enough when death comes due to unavoidable accident, but to be victimized by someone who knowingly put themself behind the wheel after drinking is even more difficult to bear. Its murder as far as I'm concerned.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Sandi said...

What a horrible loss. How does your step-sister seem to be holding up?

Loss all on it's own is pretty hard to take, but senseless loss is just so much harder to take.

(((HUGS)))

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home